Space Coast Art Festival, (SCAF) is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 organization governed by an all volunteer Board of Directors. In 1963, a small group of artists and local community leaders, formed the first ‘Cocoa Beach Sidewalk Art Show’. Sponsored by the City of Cocoa Beach and supported by the Cocoa Beach Woman’s Club, the art show thrived for several years.
History of the Festival
Incorporated in 1972, Space Coast Art Festival, Inc. was born and presented its first juried show. Not-for-profit status was granted in 1996 and in 1998; a year-round headquarters was established and is currently located at 36 North Brevard Avenue in downtown Cocoa Beach. In 2000, a gallery was added to provide a venue for support of local artists and out-reach programs for children. Through a grant from a patron of the arts, the gallery is known as the Margaret Heins Gallery.
Always held over Thanksgiving Weekend, SCAF’s long history of outstanding success is due to the continued support from Festival Partnerships, Festival Sponsors, Memberships and Volunteers with special cooperation from our host, the City of Cocoa Beach.
With over $50,000 in cash awards for exhibiting artists, SCAF draws outstanding talent from throughout the country to exhibit over Thanksgiving Weekend.
There are many important elements that have been added to the Festival over the years including the following:
• A special poster for each annual festival designed by a Florida artist.
• A judged student show for budding artists from local public and private schools, grades 1 – 12.
• A contest for grades 1 – 12 for a children’s T-shirt design.
• Young – At – Art booth with hands-on activities for budding artists.
• Professional concession vendors offering a variety of traditional and ethnic foods.
• Performing Arts scheduled during the two day festival as well as Friday and Saturday evenings.
• A 5K Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning.
• A reception in honor of the Festival’s judges held on Friday evening.
The program of the Space Coast Art Festival includes:
• 235 artists with works available for viewing and purchase by the public
• 100 student artists with works available for viewing and purchase by the public
• Hands on art booth for the “Young at Art”
• 5 K Turkey Trot with attendance of 400
• Musical presentations throughout the course of the event, free to the public